Navigate Up
Sign In


    1.  How do I find out about the City's Neighborhood Cleanup Program?

    For information regarding the City's Cleanup program call your area Neighborhood Association for details.

    2.  To whom and how do I report a pothole?

    To report a pothole contact the Public Services Department by calling 456-3232, and an operator will assist you. Or you can try our new on-line pothole reporting application. Click here to try it.

    3. What day is my refuse collected?

    To find out what day your refuse is collected, go to this page or call Public Services Department at 456-3232.

    4. What days are appliances, yard waste, and bulk items collected?

    Yard waste is collected on the same day as your normal refuse pick up. Bulky items and applinces that have a sticker are collected on Tuesday's and Friday's.

    5. Is there a charge to have appliances collected?

    Yes. Each appliance must have a $25.00 appliance sticker attached and be placed at the curb by 7:00 am on your collection day.

    6. Is there a charge to have bulk items collected?

    Yes. Each bulk item must have a $20.00 bulk sticker attached and be placed at the curb by 7:00 am. Keep the small stub portion of the bulk sticker as your receipt in case something happens to the sticker.

    7. Why do we need a $20.00 Bulk Sticker?

    The cost increase is being made to cover the cost of collecting and disposing of bulk items. After a comparative study of private haulers in the area, the proposed cost increase for the disposal of bulk items is still at least 25% less than the price charge by local haulers for the same service.

    8. What do I do with items that are large, but not on the bulk list?

    If it must be picked up by a special truck due to size or weight, usually over 30 gallons or longer than 4 ft. in size and over 30 lbs. in weight, attach a Bulk Sticker and place them at the curb for collection on your normal refuse collection day. When in doubt as to the kind of tag or sticker needed, contact the Public Services Dept. at 456-3232. See this page for more details.

    9. What appliances require an Appliance Sticker?

    Any household item which contains a motor or compressor. Some examples include microwave, Air Conditioner, Stove, Washer/Dryer, Dishwasher, Refrigerator, Furnace, Freezer, Garbage Disposal, Trash Compactor, Water Heater, Humidifier/Dehumidifier, etc. See this page for more details.

    10. Where can I purchase appliance and bulk stickers?

    Appliance and bulk stickers can be purchased at the larger retailers who carry the city yard bags and at City Hall (300 Monroe Ave NW) either the 1st floor customer service window or the Treasurer's Dept.

    11. Why was my trash violated?

    There are a number of reasons trash can be violated. The offense that is in violation of City code is checked on the green violation notice left at the curb.

    13. Where can I buy city bags for refuse pick up?

    Bags are available at City Hall (300 Monroe Ave NW) either the 1st floor customer service window or the Treasurer's Dept. Refuse Bags are sold in bags of 10 for $30.00 or $3.00 each.

    14. Does the City have a recycle program?

    Yes. The City's Recycle Program is a FREE, bi-weekly collection program and is picked up on the same day as normal refuse collection. Go to this page for more details.

    15. Where can I recycle cardboard?

    Cardboard can be placed in your recycle cart for collection.  Breakdown cardboard boxes so that they fit into the recycle cart with the lid shut flush with the cart.  Do not use tape or wire to bundle.

    16. Where do I recycle telephone books?

    TDI Talking Phone Books have a year round recycle bin. They accept all phone books. They are located at 5311 Clyde Park, 616-249-7800.

    17. Where can I take bulk yard waste (such as trees) to dump?

    The City has a free yard waste drop off site located at 2001 Butterworth SW.  The facility is open annually from the first Monday in April to the second Saturday in December, Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.  The facility is for yard waste only (no trash) and is only available to City residents.   Those wanting to use the site will need to show identification before using the site.

    18. Where can I purchase yard waste bags and bulk yard waste tags?

    City of Grand Rapids yard waste bags and bulk yard waste tags can be purchased the same places you purchase your refuse bags and tags. Paper yard waste bags are sold in bundles of for $12.50 and have the City Logo "Waste Not" on them.. Bulk yard waste tags are sold for $2.50 each.

    19. Who do I call when my yard waste is missed?

    If your yard waste is missed please contact the Public Services Dept. at 456-3232.

    20. How do I dispose of my Christmas tree?

    Attach a purple Bulk Yard Waste Tag and place the Christmas tree at the curb on your regular refuse collection day.

    21. How do I dispose of hazardous waste?

    The following are examples of hazardous waste: oil based paint, antifreeze, gasoline, automotive oils, etc. For disposal inquires call Kent County at 336-2570.

    22. Is there a schedule for street sweeping throughout the City?

    A recurring internal schedule is followed by the Public Services department throughout the city. Some special requests are considered during the summer months only and not at all during the early spring and autumn months. Some limited sweeping occurs during the Spring/Summer period, but the focus is on Street repair. Streets scheduled for sweeping are "Posted No Parking" only by request.

    23. Why aren't we notified before sweepers sweep our streets, so that we can move our cars?

    Street sweepers can be specially requested, however, the City does not routinely notify residents when sweeping streets because streets are not posted for No Parking unless specially requested.

    24. How do I get my trees trimmed? What if they're hanging over power lines?

    By special request. Call the Parks and Recreation Dept. at 456-3696 and the City of Grand Rapids Forester will inspect the request, and make a determination. If the request is on or in a power line, call Consumers Energy at 1-800-477-5050.

    25. When are they going to redo my curb/gutters?

    Currently we do not have a reconstruction program, unless you live in a target area. However, some small repair jobs are considered.

    26. When does the City remove leaves from ditches or the curbside?

    The City does not remove leaves from ditches or the curbside. It is the responsibility of the property owner to remove leaves from their property. Note that it is illegal to sweep leaves in the streets.

    27. Why are Michigan roads so rough?

    Michigan roads are rough because of the low funding levels. Gas and weight taxes, which fund street repairs in Michigan, are inadequate to address the current problems.

    28. How can I get the City to pave my alley

    We do not pave alleys. Property owners can request a special assessment (i.e. property owners will split cost of paving) by calling the Engineering Dept., (456-3060) but must be willing to pay for concrete pavement.

    29. Does the City have a program for graffiti removal?

    Yes. The City does offer graffiti removal on public property and righs of way, retaining walls, and City-owned houses. See this page for more details.

    30. Does the City have an Alley Clean-up Program?

    For more information regarding alley cleanup programs, call the Neighborhood Services Department at 456-3109.

    31. Does the City still offer free woodchips? When? Where?

    Yes. Woodchips are available at 2001 Butterworth Ave SW. They are free of charge and can be picked up beginning the first Monday in April to the second Saturday in December from 9 am to 4:45 pm, Monday through Saturday.

    32. How do I go about getting my street paved?

    The City has a comprehensive Pavement Management program that uses data from street surveys to develop a scientific approach to correcting and maintaining the streets in the City.  This program will save the City money by providing a pro-active approach to street maintenace.  A dollar spent now will save $4-5 dollars in repair in the future.

    33. How can I have a dead animal removed?

    To have dead animals removed call the Public Services Department at 456-3232, and the animal will be removed within two business days.

    34. When does the City remove snow?

    As it begins to accumulate. First, we concentrate on major streets, hills, hazardous intersections, and school areas. Then attention is given to residential areas.

    35. Why do you push snow onto the sidewalks and into the driveways?

    Our job is to keep the streets clean, therefore, if the snow volume is high enough, snow is pushed from the streets and into the sidewalks or into the driveways.

    36. What do we use to keep roads free of ice?

    The City uses salt (which is sprayed with liquid Calcium Chloride to make it more effective), and sometimes sand.

    37. Why do we have an Odd/Even Parking Ordinance?

    There is an odd/even ordinance to allow plow trucks to plow the road properly and emergency vehicles can get through snow filled streets. Odd/Even parking is no guarantee your street will be plowed each night.

    38. Is there anything citizens can do to assist in cleaning efforts?

    Citizens can assist by moving their cars in compliance with the odd/even ordinance, and by avoiding calls to the Dept. except in cases of emergency (Call volume is higher during winter months).

    39. What is the most common complaint?

    Why was plowed snow left in my driveway?

    40. Who do I call to have my alley, cul-de-sac or dead-end, street plowed?

    Dead-ends, alleys, and cul-de-sacs will only be plowed when City trucks are removing snow in residential areas (usually over 3 inches of accumulation).