Yard Waste Collection | Map
Yard Waste collection starts early April and runs until early December every year.
If you participate in the City of Grand Rapids Yard Waste Program, yard waste must be prepared in one of three ways depending on what kind of material is being removed:
|City Residents, Take Advantage of the Yard Waste Cart Program!|
Offered by the City of Grand Rapids Streets and Sanitation Department
Yard Waste Cart
96 Gallon Cart - $27.50 each
Yard Waste Cart Tag - $5.25 each
Sign Up by Mail using our Printable Form
- Yard waste collection will occur on the same day City trash is collected in your area.
- 96-gallon yard waste cart.
- One-time cost to purchase cart for City resident is $27.50.
- A Yellow Yard Waste Tag is required
each time you put your cart out for collection. They will cost $5.25 and can be purchased at Public Services department at 201 Markets St SW as well as grocery stores such as Meijer and Spartan.
- Customers need to come to 201 Market Ave SW between 7:30AM - 4:00PM Monday through Friday to pay and sign up for their cart (we will deliver within a few weeks of payment).
- If you have any questions (we do not take sign ups over the phone, you need to sign up and pay in person or use our printable form - click here), please call
City Yard Waste Paper Bag
(grass clippings, leaves, etc.)
Purple City Yard Waste Tag
(bundled branches and twigs under two inches in diameter)
How do I prepare my yard waste for collection?
- Do not attach a tag to anything you wish to keep.
- Bulk yard waste materials must be tagged and tied.
- Yard waste materials cannot weigh more than 30 pounds.
- Bundled yard waste cannot exceed four (4) feet in length
- All yard waste must be placed in a City Yard Waste Paper Bag except bulk yard waste which must be bundled and tagged.
- City Yard Waste Paper Bags and Tags must be visible for collection.
What is the cost to me?
The current cost of City Yard Waste Tags is $1.50 each and City Yard Waste Paper Bags are $7.50 for a package of five.
On what day will my yard waste be collected?
Yard waste will be collected on the same day as normal refuse collection starting early April and continuing through early December every year. To determine your collection day, check out our yard waste collection calendar. All yard waste must be placed at your refuse collection point by 7:00 a.m.
What yard waste items will be collected?
Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, brush, twigs less than two inches in diameter, and garden plants. Yard waste DOES NOT include: Sod, dirt, stones, broken concrete, trees, tree limbs, brushes, landscape logs, railroad ties, or stumps. Those items left behind do not fall within the City's definition of yard waste.
Where can I get City Yard Waste Paper Bags and Tags?
Public Services Department at 201 Market Ave SW, City Treasurer's Office, Supermarkets, and some Neighborhood Stores.
Who do I call if I have a question or problem?
Call the Public Services Department at 456-3232.