Yard Waste Collection | Map
Yard Waste collection starts early April (weather depending) and runs until the 2nd Friday in December every year.
If you participate in the City of Grand Rapids Yard Waste Program, yard waste must be prepared in one of three ways depending on what kind of material is being removed:
|City Residents, Take Advantage of the Yard Waste Cart Program!|
Offered by the City of Grand Rapids Streets and Sanitation Department
Yard Waste Cart
96 Gallon Cart - $27.50 each
Yard Waste Cart Tag - $6.00 each
Sign Up by Mail using our Printable Form
- Yard waste collection will occur on the same day City trash is collected in your area.
- 96-gallon yard waste cart.
- One-time cost to purchase cart for City resident is $27.50.
- A Yellow Yard Waste Tag is required
each time you put your cart out for collection. They will cost $6.00 and can be purchased at 1st floor Customer Service or City Treasurer's Office at 300 Monroe Ave NW, and some supermarkets.
- If you have any questions (we do not take sign ups over the phone, you need to sign up and pay in person or use our printable form - click here), please call
City Yard Waste Paper Bag
(grass clippings, leaves, etc.)
Purple City Yard Waste Tag
(bundled branches and twigs under two inches in diameter)
How do I prepare my yard waste for collection?
- Do not attach a tag to anything you wish to keep.
- Bulk yard waste materials must be tagged and tied.
- Yard waste materials cannot weigh more than 30 pounds.
- Bundled yard waste cannot exceed four (4) feet in length
- All yard waste must be placed in a City Yard Waste Paper Bag except bulk yard waste which must be bundled and tagged.
- City Yard Waste Paper Bags and Tags must be visible for collection.
- Grass Clippings
- Leaves (not loose)
- Branches/Twigs < 2" wide
- Stones, Rocks, or Broken Concrete
- Trees and Tree Limbs - Take these to Domtar Site
- Railroad Ties
- Animal Feces or Dead Animals
What is the cost to me?
The current cost of City Yard Waste Tags is $2.50 each and City Yard Waste Paper Bags are $2.50 each or $12.50 for a package of five.
On what day will my yard waste be collected?
Yard waste will be collected on the same day as normal refuse collection starting early April and continuing through the 2nd Friday in December every year. To determine your collection day, check out our yard waste collection calendar. All yard waste must be placed at your refuse collection point by 7:00 a.m.
What yard waste items will be collected?
Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, brush, twigs less than two inches in diameter, and garden plants. Yard waste DOES NOT include: Sod, dirt, stones, broken concrete, trees, tree limbs, brushes, landscape logs, railroad ties, or stumps. Those items left behind do not fall within the City's definition of yard waste.
Where can I get City Yard Waste Paper Bags and Tags?
City Hall (300 Monroe Ave NW) either the 1st floor at the customer service window, or at the City Treasurer's Office, and some Neighborhood Stores may carry them as well (call ahead before you go).
Who do I call if I have a question or problem?
Call the Public Services Department at 456-3232.