Description of the Academy
The Citizen Police Academy (CPA) is a ten (10) week program that meets once a week on Tuesday evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. This program is designed to provide members of the Grand Rapids community with additional knowledge about their police department. It allows citizens of Grand Rapids to become more educated on Grand Rapids Police Department procedure and the pressures associated within law enforcement. We seek and invite a diverse group of people that either live in or work in the City of Grand Rapids to apply. Requirements include that you must be at least 21 years of age, have no felony convictions, and have no misdemeanor convictions within the last 3 years. There is no cost to attend the Citizen Police Academy.
The purpose of the Citizen Police Academy is to accomplish three goals:
- To educate community members in Grand Rapids Police Department procedures and the pressures associated within law enforcement
- To allow the citizens of Grand Rapids to meet the men and women who serve them
- To provide Grand Rapids Police Department officers the opportunity to meet and hear from the citizens they serve.
Citizen Police Academy members are given a realistic view of the Department. Topics presented include:
- Community Policing
- "Meet the Chief"
- Laws of Arrest
- Search and Seizure
- Internal Affairs
- Criminal Investigations
- Crime Scene Processing and Forensics
- Patrol Operations
- Canine Unit
- Special Response Team
- Use of Force Training
- Traffic Stops
The academy meets once a week at the Grand Rapids Police Department.
Presentations consist of lectures, demonstrations, videos, computer presentations, and "hands on" participation. Each participant is given the opportunity to ride with an officer for one shift.
Who Can Apply?
For each academy, the Grand Rapids Police Department seeks a diverse group of participants. All participants must:
How to Obtain an Application
- Live or work in the City of Grand Rapids
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have NO prior felony convictions
- Have NO misdemeanor convictions within the last three years
You may obtain an application for the Citizen Police Academy at the Grand Rapids Police Department or you can apply online by completing the electronic form.
Media representatives are welcome and encouraged to apply.
For further information contact:
Lieutenant Mark Ostapowicz
Grand Rapids Police Department
01 Monroe Ctr NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503