|2541 Kalamazoo Ave SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507
Kalamazoo Avenue Fire Station was opened on August 26th, 1987. Engine 2 and 2B (a grass fire rig, both from the enginehouse which closed on Kalamazoo Ave, north of 44th St), Engine 4 (from the enginehouse which closed on Kalamazoo Ave at Burton St.), and Truck 4 (from the enginehouse at 2941 Burton St SE) all moved in on opening day. Engine 2 was removed from service on January 1, 1989.
In 1996, Engine 4 received their current pumper, a 1500 GPM Spartan/Emergency One Engine. In 2004, Truck 4 received their current Truck, a Seagrave/Smeal 100' Platform/1500 GPM Quint. In 2005, Squad 4 was placed in service to help handle the ever increasing amount of medical emergencies the GRFD responds to. They received a new GMC Yukon in 2006. Engine 2B was redesignated 4B, and received a 1992 Ford 4x4 pick-up with plow, and 350 GPM pump. Currently Engine 4 and Truck 4 are typically staffed with 3 personnel each per shift, and 2 are assigned to Squad 4.
In 2006, the Kalamazoo Avenue Fire Station's Engine 4 responded to 1561 alarms, Truck 4 to 695 alarms, Squad 4 to 1288 alarms, and 4B to 18 alarms.
The station currently houses the facilities for hose repair, ladder testing and small engine repair/maintenance for the entire Grand Rapids Fire Department. The station also houses a variety of reserve apparatus, Technical Rescue 1 ("Heavy") as well as the Grand Valley/GRFD Safe kids fire safety trailer.