Environmental Tip #6
Did YOU know WE never close!
The Grand Rapids Wastewater Treatment Plant is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Employees work around the clock to clean an average of 49 million gallons of waste water a day. They respond to environmental emergencies and protect our waters.
The underground collection system includes over 1000 MILES of maintained sewer pipe servicing over 262,000 people.
The treatment plant is ALIVE! We monitor, operate, and sustain a living biological system that requires essentials just like other living things such as food, air, and a “livable” environment.
Our nationally certified Biosolids Environmental Management System removes 200 wet tons of biosolids that is reclaimed daily and responsibly utilized in acceptable uses.
What can YOU do to help?
1. Do not flush foreign objects down the toilet.
2. Practice proper disposal methods of household hazardous waste.
3. Get involved in resource conservation efforts.
4. Become environmentally responsible.
5. Reduce, reuse, and recycle whenever possible.
For additional information call 456-3625.
With your commitment WE can make a difference.