The 24/7 contact number for all sewer related Issues is 311 or (616) 456-3000. The City of Grand Rapids has developed Customer Service Standards which can be found here.
The Wastewater Plant treats 17,970 million gallons annually with a daily average of 42.6 million gallons and a peak of 90 million gallons per day.
Operation and Maintenance;
- The Wastewater Treatment Plant has a design capacity of 61.1 million gallons per day.
- The Market Avenue Retention Basin has a storage capacity of 30 million gallons and treatment capacity of 1.1 billion gallons a day.
- The Primary Effluent Retention Basin has a storage capacity of 10 million gallons.
- We operate 54 Sanitary Sewage Lift Stations, 9 Stormwater Stations, 4 Meter Stations, 4 Rain Gauges, 1,100 miles of Sanitary Sewer, 23,347 Sanitary Sewer Manholes, 383 miles of Storm Sewer, 11,355 Storm Sewer Manholes, 17,800 Catch Basins, and 7 Air Quality Monitors located throughout West Michigan which analyze about 50 parameters each.
- Asset Management Fiscal Year 2010
- Service Requests - Storm = 498
- Service Requests - Sanitary = 1,335
- Collection/Stormwater System Work Orders = 2,605
- Facilities Work Orders = 16,980
- Industrial Pretreatment Program;
- Issues, tracks, maintains, samples, and reports results for 85 significant industrial user permits.
- Tracks activities of over 6,000 non-domestic users throughout the system using questionnaires.
- IPP is responsible for industrial users in 8 outlying jurisdictions. To accomplish that task we must liaison and have each jurisdiction maintain equivalent ordinances that give IPP the authority to enforce those ordinances in those jurisdictions.
- Tracks pollutants and the effects on the WWTP by monitoring industrial sources of pollutants. This is done by maintaining and collecting samples on a daily basis from 6 samplers, placed at strategic locations, to capture discharges from groups of industries.
- Monitoring whole effluent toxicity on a monthly basis by collecting samples from the WWTP effluent for 5 days. Those samples are sent to an outside laboratory for toxicity testing.
- Laboratory performs about 90,000 analyses each year.