(2) Providing leadership and expertise to policy makers in the development of public infrastructure necessary for increased urban food production, processing and marketing.
(3) Providing guidance on policies associated with the extension of appropriate farm-related services and opportunities to urban growers.
(4) Advising and assisting City efforts to integrate health, nutrition, food production, food access and agricultural economics.
(5) Help develop policies that integrate urban agriculture and urban planning.
(6) Conduct such special studies or projects as the Mayor, the City Manager or the City Commission may request.
Adopted July 26,2016 - The Commission is granted its authority over subject matter via City Code Sec. 6.50.
Location and Time
2017 Meeting Calendar (Coming Soon)
Facilitating Department Contact
Catherine Zietse - Public Services
Becoming a Member
Application and Vetting
Members are confirmed by City Commission. All applicants are vetted for eligibility. To learn more about this vetting process please visit the Boards and Commissions homepage at grcity.us/getinvolved.
All applicants shall be citizens with a demonstrated interest or expertise in agricultural issues.
The Mayor shall appoint four (4) members: one member representing a farmers market, one representing a local community support agriculture organization, one representing the Grand Rapids Public Schools, and one member representing Kent County.
The City Commission shall appoint six (6) members, with each Commissioner appointing one member.
The City Manager shall appoint three (3) members as follows: one from Blandford Nature Center, one City staff member with responsibility in the areas of zoning, economic development or code enforcement, and one City staff member with responsibility in the area of parks and recreation.
Members of the board are volunteers and are not compensated.
Current Commission Composition
13 Total Positions
11 Current Members
2 Current Vacancies
|African American Female
|African American Male
|Asian or Pacific Islander Female
|Asian or Pacific Islander Male
|American Indian or Alaskan Native Female
|American Indian or Alaskan Native Male
|Hispanic or Latino Female
|Hispanic or Latino Male