Precinct Election Inspector Boards
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must be a registered voter in the State of Michigan if age 18 or older.
- Must complete and file an Election Inspector Application. The applicant must list a political party affiliation (not independent) on the application.
- Must attend a training session prior to working as an election inspector.
- Must have no felony or election fraud convictions.
Election Day Requirements
- Inspectors are appointed from those who have properly completed and filed an application with the Grand Rapids City Clerk and have attended a training session.
- An inspector cannot be a candidate, challenger or member of the Board of Canvassers.
- A member of a candidate's immediate family cannot serve as an election inspector.
Current Pay Rate
- The polling place must be open for voting between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
- A majority of the board must be in attendance at the polling place at all times during the election. For example, if the board consists of four inspectors, at least three must remain on duty at all times. A member of the election board can leave to eat or voter (with the Chairperson's approval) as long as his/her absence does not interrupt the orderly operation of the polling place and a majority of the board is still present.
- Election inspectors must report for work at the time set by the Grand Rapids City Clerk, usually at 6:00 a.m.
- After the polls close at 8:00 p.m., election inspectors must prepare the election materials that are delivered to 201 Market, S.W. by the Chairperson. The rest of the supplies and equipment must also be stored before leaving the polling place.
- Inspectors are paid $150 for Election Day and an additional $10-$20 for each training session attended.
- Chairpersons receive $175 for Election Day and an additional $10-$20 for each training session attended.
- Completed applications can be mailed, faxed or emailed to:
Grand Rapids City Clerk's Office
300 Monroe Avenue NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Fax: (616) 456-4607
If you have any questions, please call (616) 456-3177.