Navigate Up
Sign In




    This page has been designed to keep residents informed and updated on issues relative to the current flood conditions.   Residents are encouraged to report unsafe conditions on City roads to the Public Services department at 456-3232.  Currently, all access to Riverside Park is closed to foot and motor traffic. Please check for updates here, on the City’s web page specifically designed  for emergency updating: 

     Flood-Related Damage Survey Form for Businesses and Institutions


    The City of Grand Rapids needs accurate and timely information about this incident (water/rain event for the period of April 18 through April 22) in order to determine it overall impacts, and to facilitate appropriate response and recovery efforts. The information you provide will help aid in determining the nature, scope, magnitude, extent of loss, and anticipated duration of the incident (this form serves only to estimate the full amount of damage to the community). Please fill out this form completely and submit it by Wednesday May, 1, 2013 to Scott Engerson, City Assessor by email or by mail 300 Monroe Avenue, NW, Assessors Office, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. Clilck here to see form


     Flood Relief Donations

    We have received inquiries from generous citizens with offers of donations to help offset some of the expenses incurred for the flood relief efforts.  The City Treasurer’s Office will be receiving donations and providing for the acknowledgments for the individuals helping out. 

    Donations to the City of Grand Rapids for the flood relief can be contributed as follows:

    • Call ph. 456-3020 - The Treasurer’s Office will provide you a credit card form (the form is also available at
    • If sending a check, please make it payable to GR Treasurer – Flood Relief and send it to the City Treasurer’s Office at the address:300 Monroe Ave. NW Rm. 220 , Grand Rapids, MI 49503



    Click Here to Read Declaration and Continuation of a State of Emergency

     Traffic Alerts



    All roads have been re-opened in Grand Rapids

     Grand River-Current Level/Prediction as of 10am


     Sufficient Volunteers Responded

    The City is grateful for the several hundred people who made their way to the Public Services building at 201 Market to help fill sandbags on Sunday, April 21. The response was nothing short of spectacular, before 9am we had 300 people ready to help. As of now we have reached our goal with volunteers and no more assistance is needed. Still, we will communicate with the public if our need for volunteers increases again. Thank you to all who have supported our community through this trying time.   

     FREE Sand Bags

    The City of Grand Rapids is making FREE sandbags available to individuals in our community for protection of personal property as flooding continues into the weekend. People will be limited to a maximum of 100 bags per household.
    When: Starting Saturday, April 20
    Where: 201 Market St. SW (please drive behind building)
    Time: Starting at 8 a.m.

     Media Release-Flood

    MEDIA RELEASE FORM - Flood Update 50713.pdfMEDIA RELEASE FORM - Flood Update 50713No presence informationAlmonte, Tom
    MEDIA RELEASE FORM - Floodupdate50113 (2).pdfMEDIA RELEASE FORM - Floodupdate50113 (2)No presence informationRosloniec, Rose
    CITY-APRIL 30 MEDIA RELEASE FORM.pdfCITY-APRIL 30 MEDIA RELEASE FORMNo presence informationAlmonte, Tom
    COUNTY-APRIL 30 MEDIA UPDATE.pdfCOUNTY-APRIL 30 MEDIA UPDATENo presence informationAlmonte, Tom

     Featured Video Blogs


     Who to Call – Important phone numbers


    Residents should report safety issues related to flooding to these numbers

    • Emergency (Police and Fire): 911
    • Manholes and Stormwater/Sewer Maintenance 456-3246
    • Flooded streets: 456-3232
    • Downed power lines-Call Consumer’s Energy immediately.  1-800-477-5050
    • Flooded basements (water entering your home or business) -SEWER MAINTENANCE at (616)456-3246

     Hazardous waste drop-off sites


    Hazardous waste, such as gasoline, insect repellant, antifreeze or motor oil, can be taken to these drop-off sites:

    The Kent County Road Commission
    1500 Scribner NW
    Grand Rapids, MI 49341

    The Wyoming Waste Water Treatment Plant
    2350 Ivanrest Ave. SW
    Grandville, MI 49418

    Kentwood Public Works
    5068 Breton Rd. SE
    Kentwood, MI 49508